History of the village:
The village got its name after the castle that stood on the cliff named Bodókő (originally it was called Bodókőváralja). The castle was built after the Tartar invasion, as the important fortress in the Hernád Valley. It was in 1282 for the first time, as Castrum Boldua. After the end of the Árpád dynasty, it was owned by the Aba Amádé family, who were against Charles Robert. The king had confiscated from them, and gave it to the Drugeth family. They built the other parts of the castle around the old tower. In the following centuries, the castle was owned by many noble families. In the 15th century, the castle was extended. The history of the village was closely connected to the castle. Boldogkőváralja is worth mentioning not only because of military reasons, but because of cultural aspects as well: Mátyás Dévai Bíró, who was a prominent character of the Reformation, the”Hungarian Luther” was a chaplain here. Bálint Balassi came several times to the village, and he wrote one of his poems in the castle: Borivóknak (For Those Who Drink Wine).
In the 17th century, the castle had no more military role. In the beginning of the century, Leopold II ordered to bomb it. However, later it was rebuilt in neo-gothic style.
Data of the village:
Area: 21,99 km2
Population: 1170 people (data from 2001)
Population density: 53,21 people/km2
Post code: 3885
County calling code: 48
Address of the Local Government:
28 Petőfi Street