History of the village:
The village of Abaújalpár is the”first” village of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county, and one of the oldest villages of Hungary. It was first mentioned in written memories in 1330. Initially, the village belonged to the Genus of Aba, and then it was owned by the Alpáry family. Its nobleman was Samuel Alpáry, who became well-known in the noble revolt of 1551-1565, as its chief. In 1905 the village got its present name. The village was destroyed in the 15th-16th century, in the age of Turkish subjection. In the 17th century, bohemians lived here (the followers of Jan Huss). They built the church in gothic style that has been the flower of the village with its frescos, and with the boarded ceiling. In the 16th century, reformed Hungarian people moved here. Crackers, small holders lived here, the peasantry, and the mop fairs, who served the crackers and the small holders. There are a few families who worth mentioning: Bernáth, Andrássy, Nagy, Papp, Patay, Kapy. Their mansions and the gardens made the mountain village – that situated in an extraordinary nice area – more beautiful.
After the World War, these families were interned, and the estates were divided. The characteristic, beautiful buildings became to the stables, stores for crop, or offices of the farmers’ cooperative. During the years these buildings were destroyed, and they disappeared. From 1947, farmers’ cooperatives were established, and the livelihood of the population was provided by agricultural work and livestock. The border of the village was excelled place for wine producing. The Aranyosi Valley belongs to the village, where there was a quarry. Today it is a nice outleap, and there was a thermal bath there till the 1950’s.
Abaújalpár is a tiny village in the north east part of the county, in the western side of the Zemplén mountain. Two geographic sights are close to the village that used to belong to Abaúj-Torna county, and it is north from the brook Aranyosi: the Sátor Mountain of Abaújszántó, and the stone see of Boldogkőújfalu. There is a forest on the two-third of its periphery, and the rest is used as ploughland. The well-known thermal bath, called Aranyosfürdő (Golden Bath) is close to the village.
Data of the village:
Area: 8,48 km2
Population: 96 people (data from 2001)
Population density: 11,32 people/km2
Post code: 3882
County calling code: 47
Address of the Local Government:
11 Petőfi Street,