History of the village:
The area was first mentioned in the 1200’s as uninhibited royal area. In 1240 king Béla IV tried to stop the Tartars between Regéc and Tállya, but it was not successful. After the invasion (1241-1242), the king ordered to build castles. When the castle of Boldogkő was built, Boldogkőújfalu belonged to it. The village was first officially mentioned in 1245, as a royal castle possession, where vassals lived. Through the centuries, the life of the village was sometimes more or less connected to the life of the castle of Boldogkő. In the end of the 13th century, it belongs to Amádé Aba lord lieutenant of Szeps, whose sons fight with Máté Csák against Charles Robert, and with it they lost their properties. Up to the middle of the 14th century, it belonged to the Drugeth Family, who got it as a royal gift from king Charles Robert.
In 1388, King Sigismund gave it as a pawn to the Czudar Family, from Ónod. The king got back this pawn. The written memories from this time mentioned the village as Újfalu. In 1427, King Sigismund gave the area to Brankovics, a Serbian despot, on the basis of change contract. In the age of King Matthias (1405-1490), the area, as pawned land, had many owners.
In the times of confusion after the battle of Mohács (1526), the village changed ownership many times from the following of Szapolyai and the following of Ferdinand. In the memorandums from 1591, the name of the village is similar to its present form: Boldogkő-Újfalu. As a result of the times of confusion, slowly but regular migration can be seen from the village, and in the area of the whole domain. It became so serious that by 1648 there was only one registered socage in Boldogkőújfalu…
From 1671-1685, the area belonged to George Szelepcsényi, the Archbishop of Stardom. After his death, the chapter of Esztergom inherited. Szelepcsényi started the restoration of the village and the area. By 1696 it had already 13 socages. In 1717, the chapter of Esztergom gave the area to the Jesuits of Lőcse. In the 16-17th century, the viniculture is important in the area and in the village. Several written memories preserve this. In 1753 Gábor Péchújfalusi Péchy bought the area. The prime of the village was in 1850, when the domain belonged to earl Joseph Péchy, and it had 1050 inhabitants.
Because of marriage possession, the Zichy family got the area, and they owned it up to the end of the World War II. Till 1881, it belonged to Abaúj, till 1945 it belonged to Abaúj-Torna, and then – at present – it belongs to Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county. In 1905 it got its present name. Between the two world wars, the majority of the land belonged to two estates that were divided in 1945.
Data of the village:
Area: 10,98 km2
Population: 564 people (date from 2001)
Population density: 51,37 people/km2
Post code: 3884
County calling code: 46
Address of the local government:
27 Szabadság Street