Masthead header

Room 4 – Abaújszántó

History of the village:

 

Abaújszántó has been inhabited for immemorial years, and Hungarian people have been living here since the Settlement of Magyars in Hungary. It was a city for more than 600 years. Till 1921 it had been the seat of Gönc part of the county, and it was the second densely populated place in the region after Kassa. In 1902, it lost the city rank, and Encs became more dominant. From 1921 to 1962, it was the seat of the county. In 2004 it was given city rank again.

 

Many famous people’s name can be mentioned in connection with Abaújszántó: as a schoolmaster Peter Ilosvai Selymes was teaching here between 1567 and 1568. Tamás Bakócz had estates here, and Gáspár Karoli’s life was in connection with the city (Lutheran chaplain helped him to translate the Bible). Bálint Balassi spent here a few days in the July of 1585. He wrote a letter from here to his friend, Maurice Blaise Sövényházi, to help him clarify the accusation against him. In 1906, Lajos Nagy was the sheriff in the village. He wrote about it in his autobiography, called ”The Rebellious Man”

 

Map of the village

 

Address of the Local Government:

County: Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén
Subregion: Abaúj-Hegyköz
Rank: village
Area: 47,36 km2
Population: 3407 people (data from 2001)
Population density: 71,94 people/km2
Post code: 3881
County calling code: 47
(Source: Cserehát.hu)