It is a duble-bed room, which similarly to the majority of the other rooms, it is furnitured with classical village-peasant furniture. A separate terrace belongs to the room, and air condition is available in the room. A modern, separate bathroom belongs to the room.
It can be found upstairs, in the corridor to the left.
History of the village:
It is one of the oldest villages of Tokaj-hegyalja, the sometime country town. The area was inhabited even in the Bronze Age. Since the Settlement, it has been registered as a Hungarian village. The oldest written documents are from 1404 which certifies the property of the village. It used to be consisted of two villages, and it was called Alsó- and Felsőbénye, or Mező- and Egyházas-Bénye. The village had been one of the most important areas of Hegyalja for centuries, it had right to have markets and sell wine. At first the Berényi family owned the village, and then it was soon owned by many families. However, in the end, it belonged to the Rozgonyi family, then in 1485, to the Lorántffy family.
From 1604, it belonged to the Rákóczi family so that is started to develop. The Rákóczis established here a great economic basis, the built a big castle. The biggest, multi-storey, and continuous cellar system, with 22 arms.
The wine-producing of Erdőberénye is important. Many grapes grow on the mountain, even today. The aszúbor (aszú wine) is also connected to the village. Here lived the famous preacher, Máté Laczkó Szepsi, who described the technology of making aszú wine. It was Zsuzsanna Lórántffy, who got from the excellent drink, that is known world-wide, and today it is mentioned as”wine of kings-king of wines”.
In 1830, Ödön Szirmay built a thermal bath a few kilometres from Erdőbénye, deep in the mountains. The alum content of the water is high, and it has been used for medicine since the Middle Ages. There were pavilions, castle-like bath- and guest houses. This bath was extremely popular, furthermore balls. And meetings were held here many times. Thanks for the free-minded nobles; the bath was one of the most important social and intellectual places of the Reform Age. Today it is a patriotic holiday resort. After Szirmay bankrupted, his stepson, Elek Ferenczy inherited the estate with the castle and the cellar system as well. However he did not owned it for a long time, he had soon sold it. Frigyes Waldbott earls bought it, who owned it till 1945, according to the documents.
Over the years, there were some fire and cholera epidemic that destroyed the village, so that the population of the area decreased. After the first World War, the vine-pest demolished the vineyards, and it caused migration as well. As a result of these, the Erdőbénye started to decay, and lost its city rank. Since the 1930’s, it has developed. It can be resulted from mining. From the 1900’s, it has middle-sized economic background and had ability to stop migration. Nowadays, the inhabitants deal with production of grapes. There are a few people in the village who preserve the ancient cooper profession. Six-eight people work today in the village as coopers. There used to be more coopers in the village that is why Erdőbénye was called”cooper-village”.
Data of the village:
Population: person (data from 2001)
Population density: person/km2
Post code: 3963
County calling code: 47
Address of Local Government:
31 Kossuth Street, Erdőbénye, 3963